We are a parent and an educator that care about what students all over the country and world are gaining from their public-school educations. It is our hope that this resource will help you advocate for not only your child/student, but on behalf of all of the students that attend your child/student’s school.
It’s important to advocate for your child/student to make sure all of this, and more, is a priority at your school.
We have provided you with email templates, resources, research, links, book lists, activities and support to advocate for diverse texts at your site.
We feel it is inappropriate for children to celebrate Dr. Seuss and his images without context or pointing out that the stereotypes are hurtful and harmful for the students they are supposed to represent, as well the students who begin to form biases and stereotypes based on what they see.
- Read Across America Overview
- Book Suggestions
- Student Note to be Excused from Activities
- Email Templates and follow up responses (Educator, Principal, Superintendent)
- Slideshow about Read Across America
- Read Across America Activities (5 printables to accompany books)
- Links to Read and Include in Emails